Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Christian Environmental Politics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Christian Environmental Politics   Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:18 pm

FYI. I've pasted an excerpt from an online news item. I thought it might be of general interest to Deists, not so much for the political push-pull, but for the contrast in worldviews that divide Christians politically and ethically.

WASHINGTON (AP) Rick Santorum on Sunday condemned what he called President Barack Obama's world view that "elevates the Earth above man" and requires insurers to pay for prenatal tests that will encourage more abortions.

A day after telling an Ohio audience that Obama's agenda is based on "some phony theology, not a theology based on the Bible," the GOP presidential candidate said he wasn't criticizing the president's Christianity.

"I've repeatedly said I don't question the president's faith. I've repeatedly said that I believe the president's Christian," Santorum said in a broadcast interview. "I am talking about his world view, and the way he approaches problems in this country. I think they're different than how most people do in America."

The former Pennsylvania senator said Obama's environmental policies promote ideas of "radical environmentalists," who, Santorum argues, oppose greater use of the country's natural resources because they believe "man is here to serve the Earth." He said that was the reference he was making Saturday in his Ohio campaign appearance when he denounced a "phony theology."

"I think that is a phony ideal. I don't believe that is what we're here to do," Santorum said. "We're not here to serve the Earth. The Earth is not the objective. Man is the objective."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.enformationism.info/
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Christian Environmental Politics   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:30 am

This is an excerpt from James Fowler's 'Stages of Faith'. The "stage" described below seems pretty common among American politicians and pundits.

Quote :
Stage 4 Individuative-Reflective faith is particularly critical for it is in this transition that the late adolescent or adult must begin to take seriously the burden of responsibility for his or her own commitments, lifestyle, beliefs and attitudes. Where genuine movement toward stage 4 is underway the person must face certain unavoidable tensions: individuality versus being defined by a group or group membership; subjectivity and the power of one's strongly felt but unexamined feelings versus objectivity and the requirement of critical reflection; self-fulfillment or self-actualization as a primary concern versus service to and being for others; the question of being committed to the relative versus struggle with the possibility of an absolute.

Stage 4 most appropriately takes form in young adulthood (but let us remember that many adults do not construct it and that for a significant group it emerges only in the mid-thirties or forties). This stage is marked by a double development. The self, previously sustained in its identity and faith compositions by an interpersonal circle of significant others, now claims an identity no longer defined by the composite of one's roles or meanings to others. To sustain that new identity it composes a meaning frame conscious of its own boundaries and inner connections and aware of itself as a "world view." Self (identity) and outlook (world view) are differentiated from those of others and become acknowledged factors in the reactions, interpretations and judgments one makes on the actions of the self and others. It expresses its intuitions of coherence in an ultimate environment in terms of an explicit system of meanings. Stage 4 typically translates symbols into conceptual meanings. This is a "demythologizing" stage. It is likely to attend minimally to unconscious factors influencing its judgments and behavior.

Stage 4's ascendant strength has to do with its capacity for critical reflection on identity (self) and outlook (ideology). Its dangers inhere in its strengths: an excessive confidence in the conscious mind and in critical thought and a kind of second narcissism in which the now clearly bounded, reflective self overassimilates "reality" and the perspectives of others into its own world view.

The other stages are described here...
http://faculty.plts.edu/gpence/html/fowler.htm

Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Christian Environmental Politics   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 am

I would add that Rick Santorum seems to have a heavy dose of "stage 3" in him as well.

Mechajutaro

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Christian Environmental Politics   Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:00 am

Gnomon wrote:

WASHINGTON (AP) Rick Santorum on Sunday condemned what he called President Barack Obama's world view that "elevates the Earth above man" and requires insurers to pay for prenatal tests that will encourage more abortions.

A day after telling an Ohio audience that Obama's agenda is based on "some phony theology, not a theology based on the Bible," the GOP presidential candidate said he wasn't criticizing the president's Christianity.

"I've repeatedly said I don't question the president's faith. I've repeatedly said that I believe the president's Christian," Santorum said in a broadcast interview. "I am talking about his world view, and the way he approaches problems in this country. I think they're different than how most people do in America."

. "We're not here to serve the Earth. The Earth is not the objective. Man is the objective."

Yeah, each and every American outside of Mr. Sanatorum and his study group doesnt so much as choose chicken over beef sans dry humping scripture d'oh Twisted Evil

Comforting 2 read that the next potential Stooge In Chief is convinced that man can manage just dandy in the absence of an Earth to lounge on.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christian Environmental Politics   

Back to top Go down

Christian Environmental Politics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1