Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 First, subsequent religion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mechajutaro



Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: First, subsequent religion   Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:22 pm

That is, what religion were you born into and which others-if any-have you pursued prior? Being that we've a thread in which folks have listed their reasons for coming to panendeism, it seems only a fitting inquiry.

My own synopsis:

Pakistani father(of Bahai and later Sunni affilliation)and Colombian mother(Anglican with much Catholicism and syncretism-yes, Santeria included Rolling Eyes Wink in her extended family ), bred in aspects of both faiths. First "break away" came at age 12 with Buddhist fascination, later vacillated between the paths of the agnostic, the Sufi, and the traditional deist, doing an unremarkable job in staying on the straight and narrow in both bounce Cool Discovering Spinoza about 3yrs. ago brought me to THE Revelation of today cheers Cheers! Cool Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1919
Age : 46
Location: : Connecticut
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:16 pm

My father was a non-practicing Protestant and my mother a non-practicing Catholic. The times we did go to church it was usually either in a non-denominational Christian church or a Catholic church.

I don't know that I ever believed in "Christ" and I always remember finding the way people acted in church to be a little strange. Through most of my teens I considered myself to be an Atheist. When I became a little older and went off to college I leaned more Agnostic. At one point I decided to take a step back and try an objective investigation of all the major world religions to see if anything fit, and although some had aspects that I liked, none fit the bill. At some point I came across Scientific Pantheism and was innately attracted to it but never bothered to pursue it. Finally, motivated by something that I saw on TV about Gnostic Christianity I came across Christian Deism, then just plain Deism, and then finally Panendeism.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Mechajutaro



Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Aaron wrote:
My father was a non-practicing Protestant and my mother a non-practicing Catholic. The times we did go to church it was usually either in a non-denominational Christian church or a Catholic church.

I don't know that I ever believed in "Christ" and I always remember finding the way people acted in church to be a little strange.

Ahhhhhhhhh, those meddlesome clerics of Yesteryear were most wily in restricting marriage outside of the faith; we children of the crossroads cease to be suitably deferential sooner rather than later pirat bounce Hello Disbelief in the divinity of Christ.... did expressing your views=great ire on the home front? Ask only because The Holy Trinity often proves implacable to shake, even amongst non-practioners. Was there any particular event that triggered the shift toward agnosticism?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1919
Age : 46
Location: : Connecticut
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:32 pm

Mechajutaro wrote:
Disbelief in the divinity of Christ.... did expressing your views=great ire on the home front?
Not really. Like I said my parents were non-practicing for the most part. Also I'm the ninth of ten children so my parents took a rather laissez-faire approach to raising me in general.

Mechajutaro wrote:
Ask only because The Holy Trinity often proves implacable to shake, even amongst non-practioners. Was there any particular event that triggered the shift toward agnosticism?
Not that I can think of. It was sort of a slow questioning sort of thing. Kind of like figuring out that Santa is really your parents. I had an older brother who died when I was 12 years old. I don't recall if that had any effect on my state of (dis) belief but I don't remember having a whole lot of faith in Jesus or the afterlife as I was going through the stages of grief and mourning.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Mechajutaro



Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Aaron wrote:


Kind of like figuring out that Santa is really your parents.

Key difference being the gifts they still keep a 'comin' each December 25; should Lahaye&Co.-Jesus showing up on CNN sometime next week-get their wish, the fate of all rational thinkers ain't likely to be rosy No lol!

Gritty break in regards to your brother; kudos to you for finding profundity in what must have been an earth shattering event for the entire family Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mechajutaro



Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:59 am

Aaron wrote:


I don't know that I ever believed in "Christ" and I always remember finding the way people acted in church to be a little strange.

In what ways?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1919
Age : 46
Location: : Connecticut
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:19 am

All the chanting and hand gestures etc.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
driver



Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 pm

I was raised in the Methodist Church, but never bought their package. As a young adult I converted into the Catholic Church, It was there that I accepted blind faith beliefs, It was also there that I dropped all my beliefs to Christianity. I tried the Jesus Seminar looking for the historical Jesus, but never found him. Eventually I found Deism than panendesim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1919
Age : 46
Location: : Connecticut
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 pm

driver wrote:
I tried the Jesus Seminar looking for the historical Jesus, but never found him. Eventually I found Deism than panendesim.

It seems as if the "non-believers" on one side and the ultra firm "believers" on the other are the most knowledgeable about religion while the masses in the middle just go along in relative blissful ignorance.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Grimli

avatar

Number of posts : 4
Age : 45
Location: : Ohio
Registration date : 2011-12-06

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:27 am

As a child I was baptized Episcopal by my ex-Catholic parents.

My parents divorced when I was 5 and after that we really only went to church around the holidays. And it was a non denom. Church of Christ with my mum & funny enough a Baptist one with my dad.

During those years I don't really remember believing in anything. I would say mostly agnostic.

My father was murdered when I was 14 & after that I slowly became more of an Atheist.

Around the age of 25 my ex-wife & I became pregnant. I felt the need to do some soul searching...figures out I wasn't the center of the universe and realized I really did believe in something bigger than me. So, I did some searching around (the Christian realm since that was my first introduction into spirituality) and ended up becoming Catholic.

During my time studying to become a Deacon for the church I was introduced to the Eastern practices thru the books of Thomas Merton.

He lead me the works of Paramahamsa Yogananda which eventually lead me to the Gaudiya Vaishnav tradition (a major monotheistic tradition, known academically as Vaishnavism or Sanatana Dharma, "the eternal religion." The core practice is bhakti (devotion) to God (Krishna). Although seen as a major strand of Hinduism, it is a transcendental and nonsectarian process of devotional (bhakti) yoga that can be harmonized with any theistic religious practice.)

I spent 15yrs studying under the guidance of a guru, AC Bhaktivedanta Swami, and took first initiation from his disciple Bhaktimarga Swami. After 7 years I took second initiation (or what is called brahmin initiation) and became a preist.

For years I struggled with many of the "fantastic" aspects of the scriptures and all of the dogma. I sat down one day and wrote out what I believed & what I didnt. The things that were my personal truths. The beliefs I would never apologize for. After that...I just couldnt align myself with something I only believed 50% of. The philosophy can be sound but the Gaudiya tradition teaches (and pushes real hard) the belief that every single aspect of the scriptures is true....even the most fantastic. I also found too many of the cultural aspects had influenced the dogma.

So, again I went searching. I backed up to my high school years and re-read The Age of Reason. It was enlightening. It was as if 20yrs of running around finally slowed to a walk.

I now identify most closely to Panendeism. I still study, I still second-guess, but I have never been this content (close to 90%) ever in my life. I feel free to go at my pace now.

Dispersed throught my life...I also enjoyed studying Heathenry, Forn Sed, Vrilology, the Poetic Edda, and the Slavic & Norse myths. I dabbled in Buddhism. I've even studied a little Rabbinic Judaism.

Man, that was long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/arnieargenio
Mechajutaro



Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:29 am

Grimli wrote:
As a child I was baptized Episcopal by my ex-Catholic parents.

My parents divorced when I was 5 and after that we really only went to church around the holidays. And it was a non denom. Church of Christ with my mum & funny enough a Baptist one with my dad.

During those years I don't really remember believing in anything. I would say mostly agnostic.

My father was murdered when I was 14 & after that I slowly became more of an Atheist.

Around the age of 25 my ex-wife & I became pregnant. I felt the need to do some soul searching...figures out I wasn't the center of the universe and realized I really did believe in something bigger than me. So, I did some searching around (the Christian realm since that was my first introduction into spirituality) and ended up becoming Catholic.

During my time studying to become a Deacon for the church I was introduced to the Eastern practices thru the books of Thomas Merton.

He lead me the works of Paramahamsa Yogananda which eventually lead me to the Gaudiya Vaishnav tradition (a major monotheistic tradition, known academically as Vaishnavism or Sanatana Dharma, "the eternal religion." The core practice is bhakti (devotion) to God (Krishna). Although seen as a major strand of Hinduism, it is a transcendental and nonsectarian process of devotional (bhakti) yoga that can be harmonized with any theistic religious practice.)

I spent 15yrs studying under the guidance of a guru, AC Bhaktivedanta Swami, and took first initiation from his disciple Bhaktimarga Swami. After 7 years I took second initiation (or what is called brahmin initiation) and became a preist.

For years I struggled with many of the "fantastic" aspects of the scriptures and all of the dogma. I sat down one day and wrote out what I believed & what I didnt. The things that were my personal truths. The beliefs I would never apologize for. After that...I just couldnt align myself with something I only believed 50% of. The philosophy can be sound but the Gaudiya tradition teaches (and pushes real hard) the belief that every single aspect of the scriptures is true....even the most fantastic. I also found too many of the cultural aspects had influenced the dogma.

So, again I went searching. I backed up to my high school years and re-read The Age of Reason. It was enlightening. It was as if 20yrs of running around finally slowed to a walk.

I now identify most closely to Panendeism. I still study, I still second-guess, but I have never been this content (close to 90%) ever in my life. I feel free to go at my pace now.

Dispersed throught my life...I also enjoyed studying Heathenry, Forn Sed, Vrilology, the Poetic Edda, and the Slavic & Norse myths. I dabbled in Buddhism. I've even studied a little Rabbinic Judaism.

Man, that was long.

OndaContrary,thats
a
remarkable
story afro Cheers! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 1919
Age : 46
Location: : Connecticut
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:12 am

Grimli wrote:
As a child I was baptized Episcopal by my ex-Catholic parents.

My parents divorced when I was 5 and after that we really only went to church around the holidays. And it was a non denom. Church of Christ with my mum & funny enough a Baptist one with my dad.

During those years I don't really remember believing in anything. I would say mostly agnostic.

My father was murdered when I was 14 & after that I slowly became more of an Atheist.

Around the age of 25 my ex-wife & I became pregnant. I felt the need to do some soul searching...figures out I wasn't the center of the universe and realized I really did believe in something bigger than me.

Wow. Your path is amazingly similar to mine except I was lucky enough to find Deism right away. Frankly if I hadn't, I probably would have just gone on with life as an Agnostic.

Grimli wrote:
So, I did some searching around (the Christian realm since that was my first introduction into spirituality) and ended up becoming Catholic.

During my time studying to become a Deacon for the church I was introduced to the Eastern practices thru the books of Thomas Merton.

He lead me the works of Paramahamsa Yogananda which eventually lead me to the Gaudiya Vaishnav tradition (a major monotheistic tradition, known academically as Vaishnavism or Sanatana Dharma, "the eternal religion." The core practice is bhakti (devotion) to God (Krishna). Although seen as a major strand of Hinduism, it is a transcendental and nonsectarian process of devotional (bhakti) yoga that can be harmonized with any theistic religious practice.)

I spent 15yrs studying under the guidance of a guru, AC Bhaktivedanta Swami, and took first initiation from his disciple Bhaktimarga Swami. After 7 years I took second initiation (or what is called brahmin initiation) and became a preist.

For years I struggled with many of the "fantastic" aspects of the scriptures and all of the dogma. I sat down one day and wrote out what I believed & what I didnt. The things that were my personal truths. The beliefs I would never apologize for. After that...I just couldnt align myself with something I only believed 50% of. The philosophy can be sound but the Gaudiya tradition teaches (and pushes real hard) the belief that every single aspect of the scriptures is true....even the most fantastic. I also found too many of the cultural aspects had influenced the dogma.

So, again I went searching. I backed up to my high school years and re-read The Age of Reason. It was enlightening. It was as if 20yrs of running around finally slowed to a walk.

I now identify most closely to Panendeism. I still study, I still second-guess, but I have never been this content (close to 90%) ever in my life. I feel free to go at my pace now.

Dispersed throught my life...I also enjoyed studying Heathenry, Forn Sed, Vrilology, the Poetic Edda, and the Slavic & Norse myths. I dabbled in Buddhism. I've even studied a little Rabbinic Judaism.

Man, that was long.

One of the strengths of Deism (which is also a weakness for many) is that there's no ultimate authority to tell you what to believe or how to live your life. It's up to you to figure that out for yourself.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
michael1111

avatar

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:41 pm

i was born and raised catholic. i was an altar boy that managed to get by unmolested. because i was raised a mild catholic in my formative years i remain a mild catholic now. it's more about flashing colours and gang signs and so why not stick with such a powerful and yet pretty church? sure- they're corrupt -but that's humanity. i don't go to church often, but i enjoy the art of it all when i do. it was also nice going to high school with girls in short kilts!

i came to panendeism because of Aaron. he one of my spiritual gurus...and i'm only kinda kidding about that! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grimli

avatar

Number of posts : 4
Age : 45
Location: : Ohio
Registration date : 2011-12-06

PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:06 am

Aaron wrote:


One of the strengths of Deism (which is also a weakness for many) is that there's no ultimate authority to tell you what to believe or how to live your life. It's up to you to figure that out for yourself.

And for me, I believe that is exactly how it is meant to be. The greatest satisfaction is coming to an understanding on your own. Books & teachers are great but ultimately it is your "job" to come to the proper understanding.

I guess what I'm saying is..."you can lead a horse to water..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://facebook.com/arnieargenio
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: First, subsequent religion   

Back to top Go down
 
First, subsequent religion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Jumu'ah Nasiha - Innovation in Religion
» Books about American Spirituality - Metaphysics and new religion
» Corrupt Government Use Forms of Religion to Divide and Conquer Us
» U.S. Roman Catholic Church And Protestant Denominations Agree To Work Toward Unified One World Religion
» Snakes in Religion

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: Panendeism Discussions :: General Panendeism Forum-
Jump to: