Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Sacrifice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Sacrifice   Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm

I may have touched on this before I don't really remember. I was giving it some thought and it seems to me that all of the major spiritual traditions have a core idea or principle at the center of their faith. For instance for Buddhism it seems to be the concept of impermanence, for Taoism it's about letting go, for Judaism it's about tradition and for Christianity it seem to be about the importance of sacrifice.

I believe that all of these contain valuable lessens... except for sacrifice. I have to admit that I'm having a little bit of a problem with that one.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how sacrifice might be a valuable lessen to instill on a culture.

Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Aaron wrote:
I believe that all of these contain valuable lessens... except for sacrifice. I have to admit that I'm having a little bit of a problem with that one.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how sacrifice might be a valuable lessen to instill on a culture.
Sacrifice, in the form of altruism, is a basic requirement for any collective social function. Each individual of a tribe is expected to contribute work, or personal property, or even his life for the good of the group.

That's why some requirement for sacrifice is found in almost all religions. But the informal tribal requirements eventually became doctrine as societies became more complex and interdependent. Sacrifice became a sort of semi-voluntary tax, directed to the king or deity, to pay for social benefits, such as rain for crops or protection from enemies.

Ritually cooking animals on an altar, to send up a sweet savor to the Lord, is both a personal sacrifice and a symbolic religious act. That extravagant practice did have some practical benefit though, in that the priests didn't waste the meat, but consumed it themselves. However, ritual human sacrifice was a rare and radical show of egregious groveling before the capricious benefactor.

Christianity simply upped the ante, when the deity provided the ultimate benefit, by sacrificing his own son for the welfare of all people, everywhere. Thus making ordinary sacrifices passe. But less extreme sacrifices are still expected of devout followers.

So there are at least two forms of sacrifice, the symbolic religious kind, and the practical social kind. If your deity is an interventionist, ritual sacrifice might be justifiable. But for Deists, only the routine social altruism is necessary as a contribution to the welfare of the collective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.enformationism.info/
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Yes, I hadn't thought of it that way. Jesus was sort of like the virgin to end all virgins. The Christ story seems to have been designed to trump all other pagan myths. He was like a super demigod and acted as period at the end of the story of paganism.

The thing that's interesting about the Christ mythos is that it also contains the seeds of humanism. I wonder if we've invented an uber-humanist mythos yet?

Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:32 am

Aaron wrote:
The thing that's interesting about the Christ mythos is that it also contains the seeds of humanism. I wonder if we've invented an uber-humanist mythos yet?
You're probably right. The transition from the nationalist, collective religion of the Jews to a multicultural, individualist focus may have been a major step in the direction of modern humanism.

As for the uber-humanist mythos, I'm still working on it. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.enformationism.info/
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:26 am

And of course one of the greatest instances of sacrifices ever recorded to celluloid. Perhaps you should review the scene in your studies ...

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one

Spock, SPOOOOOOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:30 am

I don't understand the need for sacrifice. Sorry it's just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mechajutaro

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Aaron wrote:
I may have touched on this before I don't really remember. I was giving it some thought and it seems to me that all of the major spiritual traditions have a core idea or principle at the center of their faith. For instance for Buddhism it seems to be the concept of impermanence, for Taoism it's about letting go, for Judaism it's about tradition and for Christianity it seem to be about the importance of sacrifice.

Leaving behind dogma so as to arrive at Panendeism is a sacrifice, at the very least of one's comfort zone, wouldn't you say?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:35 pm

I think it's difficult for anyone to give up or change their memetic programming. That's why memes are often compared to viruses.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sacrifice   

Back to top Go down

Sacrifice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1