Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Neale Donald Walsch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob M

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Neale Donald Walsch   Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I recently began listening to "conversations with God" from Neale Donald Walsch. Would he be considered a panendeist?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 am

I've heard of him but I'm not familiar with his spiritual beliefs.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob M

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks. He wrote "Conversations with G-d", which sound remarkably similar to panendeism.

Having grown up Jewish (not orthodox), this is making a lot of sense, but is breaking >40 years of belief.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:11 pm

I read Conversations with God, Books 1, 2, and 3 many years ago. Book 1, which I presume you are reading now, seems compatible with panendeism but from a clearly theistic bias. I enjoyed and have recommended books 1 and 2, but book 3 reads like much of the other "new age" garbage floating around. Since the first two books lead up to his conclusions that he espouses in the third book, I'd have to say the man is no panendeist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.voltairepress.com
Rob M

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:23 pm

I listened to #3 first on CD (came in before #1 and #2 at the library) and loved it. I just finished #1 and found it correlating highly with #3. After listening to these two -- and agreeing with almost all of it, I looked online for the "religion" to which it is closest and thought panendeism was it. What are the main differences?

Also, your picture has you looking great for 63 years of age. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Rob M wrote:
I listened to #3 first on CD (came in before #1 and #2 at the library) and loved it. I just finished #1 and found it correlating highly with #3. After listening to these two -- and agreeing with almost all of it, I looked online for the "religion" to which it is closest and thought panendeism was it. What are the main differences?

Walsch "talks to God" as if God were a person. His thoughts are deistic, but his approach is still centered in the idea that God is a personal, caring entity.

My problem with Book 3 is that while 1 & 2 support the idea of individual responsibility, Book 3 reverts to the New Age schlock of saving the world. Personally, I believe the only person we can change is ourself. If enough individuals change for the better, the world may become a better place. But don't expect to change others. The best one can do is encourage change by being the change you'd like to see in others.

Rob M wrote:
Also, your picture has you looking great for 63 years of age. Smile

It is a picture of Michael Shanks, who played in SG1 as a man who "ascended", becoming a god. With all his new-found powers, he set out to change the world and right wrongs, but was chastised for intervening. His response was something like "What's the point of being a god if I can't change the world?" Their response was to turn him back into a mortal. See, the gods in SG1 are deists. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.voltairepress.com
Rob M

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:55 pm

To what religion does someone belong if he believes G-d is everywhere in the physical and spiritual realms and is willing to teach us who we really are?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:52 pm

Panendeism is a category of belief not really a religion. The theistic version is Panentheism. I'm not really sure what you mean by "G-d is everywhere and is willing to teach us who we really are." Depending on the context and meaning that may either be Panendeism or Panentheism or something in between.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Neale Donald Walsch   

Back to top Go down

Neale Donald Walsch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1