Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Greetings from a new member

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bucksburnian

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Greetings from a new member   Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Good evening all.

Now, I may be considered as something of an oddity and I'm not sure the label Panendeist is the correct one to sum up my theology. Perhaps you can help?

I do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphic God who intervenes in our world. I DO believe that God is the eternal spirit of all that is: found, for example, in the created world, the glories of music, art, justice, equity and truth.

I am an ordained minister (former priest) and I practice prayer - prayer of thanksgiving, prayer of support. Furthermore I believe in the importance of liturgy, music and word in worship. My small congregation use incense, candles, vestments, music as a way of celebrating God.

This being said, I do not for a moment believe that "worship" (or whatever we choose to call it) has any "magic" component to it - what I mean by this is simply when we hold common worship and celebrate Communion it is simply an act of Thanksgiving for life, nature, fellowship, family - whatever.

We describe ourselves as 'Free Faith" as we don't feel we fit under any other umbrella...however, I believe we (indeed, I) are Panendeists. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a new member   Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Quote :

We describe ourselves as 'Free Faith" as we don't feel we fit under any other umbrella...however, I believe we (indeed, I) are Panendeists. What do you think?
Welcome to the All-In-God forum. Smile

Contemporary Deism is a Big Tent with a wide range of odd and ordinary beliefs and practices.

Panendeism is a specific 21st century God-concept with no particular prescription for faith or praxis. But its adherents tend to have shed most characteristic Judeo-Christian traditions as irrelevant.

Your congregation seems to fit in the category of "Classical" or "Christian" Deism, which hold on to some familiar elements of Christianity, even as their God-concept is essentially Panendeist.

The hot-off-the-presses book---Deist : So That's What I Am, published by the Contemporary Deist Project---may give you more insight into exactly where on the spectrum of Deism your group is located. The book is currently being discussed on the Positive Deism forum : http://www.positivedeism.com/phpbb2/index.php

Deist Book
http://sothatswhatiam.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.enformationism.info/
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a new member   Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:25 pm

bucksburnian wrote:
I do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphic God who intervenes in our world. I DO believe that God is the eternal spirit of all that is: found, for example, in the created world, the glories of music, art, justice, equity and truth...

Could either be considered Pandeism or Panendeism or somewhere in between, I'm not really sure.

Welcome to the forum!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from a new member   

Back to top Go down

Greetings from a new member
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1