Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

My Electric Usage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: My Electric Usage   Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:19 pm

I haven't been keeping track of my "ILP", which makes sense I guess considering I haven't really been keeping to a rigorous practice. I have been working on various aspects of an "Integral Life Practice" however, such as trying to watch what I eat, focusing more attention on exercise and my overall health. I am constantly trying to educate myself about the world and how best to find a sustainable balance in it. I haven't been focusing on the spiritual side as much lately which is something that I need to get back into.

One of the areas that I have been focusing on is personal energy consumption. I feel that it's an important issue for a number of reasons that I won't go into now.

Over the last year I have made a concerted effort to cut back on my, and my family's energy usage by doing a variety of little things like installing energy efficient light bulbs, staying more aware of turning off the lights, cable box, and television when no one is in the room, adjusting the power settings on my computers, and turning down the thermostat in the winter and turning it up in the summer. I've also been taking fewer car trips and have been driving with less of a lead foot.

I'm happy to say that the work seems to be paying off. For example, after reviewing my electric bills for the last 6 months compared to the same 6 month period from last year, our family's electricity usage is down by more than 16%, from an average of 48.1 KWh per day to an average of 40.3 KWh per day. There are 5 people living in our home (3 are home virtually 24/7) which averages out to about 8KWh per person per day total electric usage.

I eventually plan on installing some solar panels on our house and this spring I plan on planting a garden in my backyard which should help conserve more energy.

My overall long-term goal is to cut back on my, and my family's, non-renewable energy consumption by 50%. From what I can tell this seems to be a sustainable personal level of energy consumption. It's seems daunting, but my guess is that it will be easier and more rewarding than it may seem at first.

Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: My Electric Usage   Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Sounds good. I think I've been doing better, could do a lot more, I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

My Electric Usage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1