Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lykos Minister

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-10-08

PostSubject: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:21 pm

I have introduced myself before, but here we go again: I have founded a (so far online) Deistic church which I call "Lykos Temple ULC," and am looking for the curious, the Seeker, and community.

So far, my site consists of an online version of a book I wrote nearly 30 years ago, and a small forum. The site is at:

http://www.welcome.to/lykostemple

and the forum is at:
http://lykos-temple.proboards.com I would also like to call out to anyone in the Greater Los Angeles area for some offline fellowship & community outreach... for I'm certain that the needy and those locked behind bars are less than represented here. My phone number is on between 10am thru 9pm, Monday thru Saturday (it's a virtual number that goes wherever I go).

Why do this? I've been on the needy side of things; I know what it's like. If you're ever in the Southern California area, and would like to drop by, you may make an appointment (I'm a bus traveller, and am all over the place, so prearranged visits are best); all you need do is call by the Wednesday prior to the Saturday or Sunday you wish to visit, and I'll be happy to.

Thank you all for listening... if you wish, you may copy & paste this announcement anywhere you like... just drop me a line, and let me know where.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.welcome.to/lykostemple
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Maybe we can place it in the soon to be renewed Deist Alliance Quarterly Newsletter. From what I remember there were a few subscribers who were prison inmates.

Lykos Minister

PostSubject: "Each Sparrow..." An Update   Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:33 pm

A note to let everyone know:

I've gotten a "virtual" toll-free phone number, good anywhere in North America, which functions as a phone/FAX:
866-228-3032. This is offered by a company called Tagline, a sub of Verbex (Canadan company in British Columbia).

So far, I like it a lot; when I first became visually impaired, it was being advertised as a voice-actuated "personal assistant." It sounds professional, and it's not that expensive (I receive state/federal aid, so money means a lot to me).

The website for this service is @ http://www.tagline.cc --- I do recommend it.
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Smile

Lykos Minister

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Mon May 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Hello again:

Here We Grow Again!

I'm about to arrange"Meet Ups" for the offline segment of "Lykos Temple Sanctuary," to meet in the park near Universal Studios, North Hollywood California. I'll try to keep people alerted on when and exactly where.

Does anyone on this forum live in the Southern California area? Please email or call me to let me know... I'm now associated with ULC as an official Congregation.

I'll keep everyone informed...
Back to top Go down
Lykos Minister

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Sat May 30, 2009 6:35 pm

A New Word For a First Faith:

I realize that I'm worrying about something that is too little to worry about, but I'm concerned.

I'm beginning to realize that there is a lot about my Path that is _NOT_ deistic…. Especially that (1) many "Deists" believe in a "First Event," a Creator, and a "Big Bang" (on the other hand, I more think that "Life" and "Time" proceeds "to and fro" --- more like a cycling Spring (or maybe a Slinky), achieving Balance then “moving” between Chaos & Order. (2) I do not "believe" in a Creator-God, who then "walks away," allowing the universe to run on its own, without interference. I don’t even really believe that “God” walked away at all (the concept of “walking away” from yourself is confusing at best.

I don't even _believe_ in anything; that infers that there might be an inkling of doubt in my super-subconscious. So maybe Deism (even _Pagan_ Deism) is the wrong word for my Faith. So I've spent (maybe too much) time looking for a better description. Silly, I know; but I worry about giving the "wrong" impressions (first impressions are sometimes the only one you ever get). Besides, I wouldn't want to scare away anyone who might be otherwise interested.

From ceremonial deism (taken), secular paganism (taken), "spiritual-deism" (also taken), PanDeism (very taken), cosmotheism (taken by people I want nothing to do with), PanenDeism (taken)…. Until I tried nontheistic deism (also taken, but it's closer to describing what seems indescribable)). I thought about ecological deism, and then ecodeism (or EcoDeism), which still has that "d" word in it.

This brought me to one of the most enduring tenets I've come to be convinced about, which is that this "Faith" has almost nothing to do with _belief_ --- instead faith is used synonomously with "religion." Also: I am personally convinced that, as souls, we spiritually evolve, from inanimate matter, to one-celled life, to more complex, ever more complicated life, to thinking, time-disjuncting beings, to what ever lies in store for those of who go beyond "this mortal coil." What lies "ahead?" That is not something I can tell you, because I know no one who has gone "that way" and been back to tell me… or anyone else, for that matter. This is not for me to ponder right now; maybe I'll think more on that later.

So evolution has something to do with my Faith. Also: ecology & being a caretaker for my current Home is also important. In playing with these words, I tried "evo-Deism" (along with Eco-Deism"). But that still leads people to think of the old classical definition of Deism. I originally thought about Deism because it _refers_ to the GodForce without using "theos," which always reminds me about monotheism, polytheism, etc. (which requires belief, which I don't "do")…. I know: "you worry too much."

In continuing to "play with words," I suddenly remembered the post about "holoism" which took me back to how I feel about how we are parts of ever increasing (and decreasing, on the rebound), like the Cosmic Slinky (I know; that phrase will come back one day to bite me, but….) So I came up with Hology, as a religion. That led me to think: "evology" or "evohology" (but then thought: "ecohology" --- which so far sounds the best to me). Essentially, this translates as: nontheistic, evolutionary, pandeism without the "creator" --- no belief necessary; just "go forth" and seek Balance.

Okay: I'm looking forward to comments…. Even the "where did you get this stuff" types of commentary.

I'm serious, and one of you did point me towards the "holism" post… and I respect your opinions. So: let me have it (and please don't tell me somebody else already has taken the "evohology" or "EcoHology" words…. That would be a terrible shame)….
Back to top Go down
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Sun May 31, 2009 9:48 am

IMO Deism is simply a belief in god based on reason. One does not need to believe in a creator god or a god that has abandoned it's creation in order to be a deist. One just needs to come to their belief based primarily on reason rather than tradition or blind faith.

Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Sun May 31, 2009 3:11 pm

Lykos Minister wrote:

I realize that I'm worrying about something that is too little to worry about, but I'm concerned.

On the contrary, it is something that should cause concern.

People make assumptions about us based upon the labels we wear. For example: REPUBLICAN: a pro-life, anti-union, church-going conservative. But, is that true for every Republican? More often than not, the label does not adequately describe our philosophy.

So, why do we wear labels? Many people choose to do so because it is easier than explaining what they really believe, to every person they meet. Others choose a label in order to "fit in", and to enjoy a sense of camaraderie. Still others do so because they don't know what they believe and don't want to take the time to think for themselves!

For those of us who DO think, labels never quite fit us. Unfortunately, it is human nature to label everything and everyone we encounter, so if you choose to remain unlabeled, others will choose one for you!

I call myself a Deist to differentiate myself from Theists. It may not be a totally accurate description of my philosophy, but it serves to define what I am not. You have perused this site long enough to realize how seldom we who frequent it actually agree about the details of our "faith", so it is a label that is far less confining than most.

Classic Deists did not deny the God of theism, but merely redefined It - sort of tweaking the edges. Modern Deists have employed Reason and Logic, combined with what Science has shown us, to reach beyond the confines of the traditional concept of God as some sort of super-human entity trapped with humanity in time and space.

My Deist "God" has no personality, no shape or form. The one thing Deists can agree upon is that we cannot presume to know anything about God, and to impose our human qualities upon God is sheer hubris.

For me, God is Mind and I am a part of that Mind. In those brief moments when I can separate my Spirit self from my Animal self, I come as close as I can to knowing God. The Deist label allows me the latitude to be a mystic.

As I see it, your dilemma arises not from the label, but from your attempt to canonize a belief. Religion, like a political party, attempts to provide an umbrella of belief that will encompass many people. I think each of us must find our own path.

I do believe in "God". I just don't believe in Religion. And I don't think god does, either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.voltairepress.com
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Sun May 31, 2009 7:16 pm

Quote :
So maybe Deism (even _Pagan_ Deism) is the wrong word for my Faith.
Since it has no scripture or creed, Deism is primarily defined by what it's not. Most people are not content with such an amorphous, open-ended belief system though, so they constantly seek for a more definitive definition, and a more descriptive label. They vainly hope that G*D will sit still for a snapshot.

But as PA says, that very vagueness is at once the power and the weakness of Deism. It neatly fits my undefinable god-concept, but it also makes my worldview seem senseless to others. Perhaps Deism is a Seinfeld faith : What's your faith about? "nothing!"

I can sympathize with the desire to encapsulate your belief system. But I have found that we can see G*D only with our peripheral vision. So all of our deistic discussions are about peripheral issues.

There's an old oriental saying, "that which you desire most, in order to obtain it, you must let it go". If you want to see G*D, focus on the peripherals---the here and now. If you want to know G*D, know thyself.

If you want to formulate a definitive religious belief system, forget about G*D and focus on what people want to believe. As for me, I can only worry about what I, personally, believe. I'm willing to share, but I can't ask you to believe as I do---in the nothing which is everything.

As usual, don't mind me. I don't know what I'm talking about. confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.enformationism.info/
Lykos Minister

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:16 am

We've got Meetup!

When: August 9, 2009: 1pm
Where: Weddington Park South, corner of: Valley Heart Drive & Lankershim Blvd, Studio City.
What to bring: snacks (natch!), ideas, interests, issues

Next Meetup: in September, 2009

[okay, now I'm scared!] Step by step...

Even if no one "joins," the discussion should be interesting. I'm not tieing anybody to a definitive "title," just interested in giving everyone an idea ... we'll see what happens.

Thanks to everyone for following along with me... I, for one, am excited to get even this far.

See you later!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."   

Back to top Go down

Introducing: "Each Sparrow That Falls..."
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1