Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Why not meditate?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Why not meditate?   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am

Hello all. It's been a while. Smile

Meditation is one of the most beneficial practices of self-cultivation. In this modern and busy world world we live in, people seem to be so involved in attaining their goals or in intellectual pursuits that they don't take the time or see the necessity for meditation.

Maybe we can all add our own thoughts on meditation and how it's helped us on our Paths? I think that might really be beneficial to not only others, but an incentive for those of us who might have reached stumbling blocks in our own practices.

Thanks to all who participate in this section.

-Ninah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Why not meditate?   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:52 am

Hi Ninah.

I practice a form of informal mindfulness meditation (meditation with form rather than with breath) from time to time because it helps to calm my "monkey mind". I feel that it helps me to get grounded in the moment and to stop worrying about the stupid things that plague our egos on a day to day basis. It focuses my mind on the "big picture" and I find it to be very calming.

It doesn't take much time but I am so often caught up in the daily grind that I usually forget to "do" it.

Last edited by Aaron on Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Why not meditate?   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:20 pm

I've never really been one for sitting on the floor in a room or anything, but I like to take long walks out in the desert, and at times I do just stop, close my eyes, and soak in the energy around me - I feel that is a form of meditation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Why not meditate?   Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:19 am

Whenever I'm faced with a problem, my wonderful rational mind swings into action - weighing, calculating and evaluating all the available data. Now, I don't want to sound ungrateful for the blessings that being able to think rationally has bestowed upon me, but...sometimes it is better to shut the damn thing down and listen to the intuitive Master Within.

I have to work at it, but I attempt to meditate when I realize I'm over-analyzing and micro-managing things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.voltairepress.com
Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Why not meditate?   Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Thank you for your responses.

I agree - meditation is a process of learning how to let things go and be of their own. That includes not trying to force ourselves into some image we've been told we have to follow. When force is used in meditation, that only increases the force we'd use in other aspects of our lives. Like trying to make things go the way we want them to instead of merging with what's happening unhindered by barriers.

I think one of the main reasons most people don't meditate is because they feel they're being forced into doing something that's unnatural for them. Meditation is one of the most natural things any person could do. I don't know why some people feel that they have to use force to make that happen.

Meditation is something to look forward to - not some discipline to be dreaded. When that idea passes through into the rest of your life - every day becomes a springtime.

-Ninah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Why not meditate?   Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:38 pm

I like that. Smile

Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Why not meditate?   Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:29 pm

There's some good information here.

Quote :
How Mindfulness Meditation Can Calm You Down
Pay close attention to each feeling, and let it be
By Deborah Kotz

Let's say you slam into the back of a car that cuts you off or your boss moves your deadline up a week. How do you react? Perhaps your pulse quickens as you berate yourself for not foreseeing the circumstance. Maybe your breathing shortens as you feel anger or panic—or both. Most people, though, don't notice such details; they react with an "Aargh!" and distract themselves with a run or a beer or a gallon of ice cream.

But researchers say one of the best ways of soothing stress is to be "mindful," to pause and actually tune in to what's going on at the moment. Being acutely aware of what you're experiencing—the racing heart, the tumbling thoughts—and accepting it without judgment, observing as it changes, has a strong calming effect, experts say. "You might have a thought like 'I'm a failure,' but you know that it's just a thought," explains researcher Elissa Epel, an associate professor of psychiatry at the University of California-San Francisco School of Medicine. That will prevent you from turning those thoughts into a self-fulfilling prophecy by, say, quitting the gym or a challenging job.

Wandering thoughts. How do you get to a mindful state in the midst of a panic? Most people need to practice a form of meditation that focuses on their breathing and sensations in each body part. If your mind wanders (and it will), you just acknowledge the errant thoughts, let them go, and bring your attention back to the breath. Check out a mindfulness tape at mindfulnesstapes.com, or take a free virtual-mindfulness class on YouTube with Jon Kabat-Zinn, a professor of medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts and author of several books on mindfulness. "You are training your mind to be less reactive and more stable," he writes in Full Catastrophe Living. A 2007 study found that mindfulness classes gave students an improved sense of well-being—and that practicing the technique for about 30 minutes a day helped induce a mindful response when people would normally feel stress.

The practice may also help alleviate some of the physiological damage caused by chronic stress, like the tendency to store fat around abdominal organs. Epel and her colleagues are currently studying whether 50 overweight women who describe themselves as "stress eaters" can curb food cravings by practicing mindfulness—by noticing a raisin's color, texture, and smell, say, before eating it. If stress reduction practices lower cortisol levels, the body's storage of fat should shift from the abdomen to the hips and thighs, where it won't cause insulin resistance, Epel speculates. A bonus: It might get easier to stop at one Oreo.

http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/living-well-usn/2008/06/05/how-mindfulness-meditation-can-calm-you-down.html

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why not meditate?   

Back to top Go down

Why not meditate?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1