Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Introduce Yourself Here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:49 pm

thr4im wrote:

If there are etiquettes I should know about, please let me know before I offend.

Well, there's one, it seems. We have to have an argument about Free Will vs Determinism. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Uriah wrote:
thr4im wrote:

If there are etiquettes I should know about, please let me know before I offend.

Well, there's one, it seems. We have to have an argument about Free Will vs Determinism.

thr4im

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:36 am

Aaron wrote:
Uriah wrote:
thr4im wrote:

Well, there's one, it seems. We have to have an argument about Free Will vs Determinism.

God told me you were going to say that, U. But I decided not to listen to him. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Welcome thr4im.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Asteriktos

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:23 am

I guess I should introduce myself, and say a bit about myself. I'm Justin, and am 30 years old. I wasn't really interested in spirituality or philosophy until I was out of high school. At that point, in 1997, I became a Protestant Christian (Wesleyan Holiness). Eventually I left Protestantism and became Eastern Orthodox Christian in 2001. I had a lot of issues with Christianity that stuck in my mind, however, and at the beginning of 2006 I became an agnostic, and later that year began identifying myself as an atheist. From that point till this summer I bounced back and forth between agnosticism/atheism and Orthodox Christianity, while also flirting with Taoism, gnosticism, and other belief systems during that period. Eventually I decided to sit down and write down what exactly I believed, and while it's still a work in progress, I found that the best way to describe my position was as a mixture of panentheism, deism, gnosticism, and metaphysical naturalism. Strange brew, I know.

At this point, I sort of conceive of God as impersonal and wholly outside the universe, with the universe itself being unconsciously and unintentionally emanated by God. In essence, an impersonal God is involved with the universe without trying or meaning to be. I don't know if there is a more specific definition of the term panendeism used on the board, and whether I'd fit in as a panendeist here, but it seemed to me that the term isn't a dogmatic one and allows for a good deal of flexibility. It was while I was looking up information on deism on the net that I first came across the term panendeism on a wiki article. It immediately struck me as a term that I could identify with. I found this website after I googled panendeism.

My user name, Asteriktos, means "unstable" in Greek. It's a pretty good description of the last 12 years of my life, as I've bounced from belief system to belief system. I suppose a more positive way of putting it is that I've been evolving over those years, keeping what I think is true and discarding what I think is not true. Because of this search, and how often I've been wrong, the following quote by the agnostic Leslie Stephen really resonates with me:

"We are a company of ignorant beings, feeling our way through mists and darkness, learning only by incessantly-repeated blunders, obtaining a glimmering of truth by falling into every conceivable error, dimly discerning light enough for our daily needs, but hopelessly differing whenever we attempt to describe the ultimate origin or end of our paths..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gnomon

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2007-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Asteriktos wrote:
"We are a company of ignorant beings, feeling our way through mists and darkness, learning only by incessantly-repeated blunders, obtaining a glimmering of truth by falling into every conceivable error, dimly discerning light enough for our daily needs, but hopelessly differing whenever we attempt to describe the ultimate origin or end of our paths..."

Welcome to the unstable stable of panendeists. As a long-time agnostic, I can identify with your quote. I am still literally agnostic about G*D, but optimistic about the probability of a First Cause versus a Random Chance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.enformationism.info/
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Welcome to the forum Asteriktos.

Panendeism is simply a belief in "god", "deity", "the one", "the Tao" (or whatever term that you prefer) based upon individual reason and observation. It's a fairly broad category of belief and as most category of beliefs go, is non-dogmatic.

I think you'll find that despite identifying with the term Panendeism, most of us retain a healthy level of Agnosticism regarding the nature and even the existence of god.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to chime in.

thr4im

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Welcome Justin... just got here myself. Nice to meet you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ninah

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Welcome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ervin

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi everyone. My real name is also Ervin and some of you should know me from Positive Deism and reason and spirit forums. I have been seriously thinking about it last night and because of my personal beliefs of Gods atributes such as infinitely loving for instance I think that panendeism is what I have identified with.

Anyway, I am loking forward to some sincere discussion.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi Ervin. Welcome.

Things are pretty quiet here these days but feel free to join in or dig up any old discussions that you might be interested in.

Mechajutaro

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:22 am

Aaron wrote:

Things are pretty quiet here these days...

'Tis summertime for ya Sad Hello Pray the newcomers check in from time to time so as to become new pals as the fall roles around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ninah

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi Ervin. Nice to meet you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduce Yourself Here   

Back to top Go down