Number of posts : 1918
Age : 45
Location: : Connecticut
Registration date : 2007-01-24
|Subject: The Major Tenets of Stoicism Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:55 pm|| |
I found this list of basic Tenets of Stoicism and thought I'd share it here.
- Quote :
- The Major Tenets of Stoicism
1. One to live in accord with Nature; worldly Nature and human nature.
2. The Unity of All; all gods; all substance; all virtue; all mankind into a Cosmopolis (Universal City).
3. That the external world is maintained by the natural interchange of opposites (poioun / yin, paskhon / yang)
4. That everyone has a personal, individual connection to the All; a god within.
5. That every soul has Free Will to act and that the action of the soul is opinion.
6. Simple Living through moderation and frugality.
7. That spiritual growth comes from seeking the good.
8. That Virtue is the sole good, Vice the sole evil, and everything else indifferent.
9. That the Cardinal Virtues are Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, and Temperance.
10. That the path to personal happiness and inner peace is through the extinguishing of all desire to have or to affect things beyond ones control and through living for the present without hope for or fear of the future; beyond the power of opinion.
11. The sequential re-absorption and recreation of the Universe by the Central Fire; the Conflagration.
I don't know how historically accurate this list is but it looks like a pretty good list to me.
"Enjoy every sandwich" ~ Warren Zevon
Number of posts : 380
Age : 35
Location: : In the core of Uranus.
Registration date : 2007-10-22
|Subject: Re: The Major Tenets of Stoicism Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:21 am|| |
It's a pretty cool list. I especially like the first tenet because it says to live in accord with libertarianism. Since it's the very first tenet it must be the most important.