Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

American Transcendentalism and Deism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: American Transcendentalism and Deism   Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Averroes brought this up in another thread.

Averroes wrote:
It was in 19th century rise of Indian mysteries in German Idealism, and it's correlate the Transcendentalist movement in United States, that lead towards the increased alignment of secular or non-scriptural spiritualism with Romanticism or the love of the natural.

But then neither the German Idealist nor the American Transcendentalists can be called Deists proper without stretching the definition of that term too thin. Of course, on a very superficial level they were indeed Deists--although, they mostly wrote deriding the Deist thought of 18th century.

I would argue that the German Idealists and American Transcendentalists are essentially like 3rd generation deists. The first generation being innatests and rationalists and the second generation being empiricists.

I would place the Deism of someone like Matthew Tindal in the first category, the Deism of someone like Voltaire or Paine in the second and the philosophy of someone like Schelling, Hegel, or Emerson in the third.

Any thoughts?

Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: American Transcendentalism and Deism   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:34 am

Is there a forth?

-Ninah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: American Transcendentalism and Deism   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 am

I don't know? Smile

Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: American Transcendentalism and Deism   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:22 pm

I think we are
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ian

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-05-21

PostSubject: Re: American Transcendentalism and Deism   Thu May 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Aaron wrote:
Averroes brought this up in another thread.

Averroes wrote:
It was in 19th century rise of Indian mysteries in German Idealism, and it's correlate the Transcendentalist movement in United States, that lead towards the increased alignment of secular or non-scriptural spiritualism with Romanticism or the love of the natural.

But then neither the German Idealist nor the American Transcendentalists can be called Deists proper without stretching the definition of that term too thin. Of course, on a very superficial level they were indeed Deists--although, they mostly wrote deriding the Deist thought of 18th century.

I would argue that the German Idealists and American Transcendentalists are essentially like 3rd generation deists. The first generation being innatests and rationalists and the second generation being empiricists.

I would place the Deism of someone like Matthew Tindal in the first category, the Deism of someone like Voltaire or Paine in the second and the philosophy of someone like Schelling, Hegel, or Emerson in the third.

Any thoughts?

I agree, if reverence for nature is the distinguishing characteristic of the third generation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: American Transcendentalism and Deism   

Back to top Go down

American Transcendentalism and Deism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1