Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

What Is An ILP?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Travis Clementsmith
Admin

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: What Is An ILP?   Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:35 pm

An ILP is an Integral Life Practice proposed by Ken Wilber and the Integral Institute. You can view their program here:

http://www.myilp.com/

The basic idea is to train all aspects of your life for optimal overall effect. The four core modules are Body, Mind, Shadow, and Spirit. Then there are auxillary modules and electives as well. For those that can afford it, I recommend II's program for best results.

But some of us either cannot commit such resources now or possibly ever. I feel it is important, however, to get started, even if it isn't quite the same program. For this purpose, I have started my own ILP and plan to taylor it in a more bare bones fashion. Later, I may purchase the II ILP and work some of its programs into my own.

I feel the best way to start is to add gradually. Too many changes at once are difficult to manage and usually lead to abandonement of the project all together. So what I am going to suggest is to first focus on Body and Spirit. Put together a workout routine and a meditation schedule and stick to it. It takes roughly 28 days to make something a habit, so stick with these two changes for the first month. Write down your routine, take stock, and make goals.

After the first month, you may want to add a Mind or Shadow exercise. I would suggest one or the other, probably Mind if you don't have a Shadow program. II has a 3-2-1 Program and I have one I like from an old philosophy teacher available for $15 here:

www.openingmind.com

Go to the "To Artemis" link for the program.

After the second month, add in the final core module (Mind or Shadow).

By the third month look to modify or add to any of your core modules. Give any modification at least a month before deciding whether to include it or not. It is a good idea to keep modifying your Body module as you want to keep your body guessing rather than falling into a routine that can generate an extended platteau. If you are happy with your meditation continue with that. If not, look for a different type and give it at least three months. Remember, most meditation routines recommend one year of continuous practice before the true benefits start to emerge.

By the fourth month, look to add to your list of auxillary programs. These are specific areas of your life you would like to focus on for improvement. Try no more than two or three new such modules and you can supplement as you deem necessary.

Finally, keep a log. This forum is for such a purpose, so feel free to start your own. Encouragement from others can be very powerful, plus it allows discussion for areas that might be difficult to start or understand. If you have something you would rather keep more private, keep a separate log. But do write it down somewhere, this helps reinforce the changes you want to make in your life.

Any further general questions can be asked on this thread as well. Good luck! cheers

-TC

Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What Is An ILP?   Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:24 pm

I just want to add that if you're someone like me who doesn't have an hour or even a half hour out of the day to sit and formally meditate you can still practice informal meditation.

What I've started to do is to have mini-meditation sessions of 1 to 2 minutes each about 20 times a day. Once I'm able to do the 20 mini-sessions a day I plan on trying to extend it to 25, 30, 35 and so on. I practice various types of mindfulness including meditation with form, meditation with sound and walking meditation. The idea is that in a few years once my young children have become a little more self sufficient, and a little less work then I can start a more formal practice.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Is An ILP?   Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:58 pm

Nice imput because one, it emphasizes that the program should be taylored to your own needs, and two, I think its important that techniques are experimented with to help pave a method for people who are busy. People who don't have a lot of spare time are probably the people who can benefit most.

I have a rotating schedule with swing, morning and midnight shifts and I have had to learn how to adapt my program to this odd schedule. The more we see these alterations from traditional practices, and whether or not they are beneficial, I think is an important step. Nice imput Aaron!

-TC

Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What Is An ILP?   Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:52 pm

Do you think that charity (not just monetary) should be a part of one's ILP?

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Is An ILP?   Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:10 pm

I think so. I think the II version includes it under "community". I could be mistaken. That way, charity also includes volunteer work as well as monetary donations.

-TC

SpiritInfuses

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-10-13

PostSubject: Re: What Is An ILP?   Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:15 am

Hi!

I'm in the busy, busy people camp but also have been quite undisciplined and need to work on concentration and focus. I love this approach. I'll be starting my own regimen tonight!

Thanks guys.

Karen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Is An ILP?   

Back to top Go down

What Is An ILP?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: Panendeism Discussions :: Integral Panendeism Forum-