Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Travis' ILP and Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Travis Clementsmith
Admin

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2007-03-30

PostSubject: Travis' ILP and Log   Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or someplace else, so we can move it later if you like.

Travis’s Log

Well, I’m starting my new integral cross training on my 38th birthday. I had to graph out a schedule because my work times change and I work odd hours. Most of my training will take place Monday through Friday. This gives me one free afternoon on Saturday. Sunday I usually work in the early morning 5:45am-1:45pm followed by a midnight shift starting Sunday at 10pm and ending Monday morning at 6am. This means I usually sleep in the afternoon on Sunday and until 11am to 12 noon on Monday.

I plan to stretch and jog on the five exercise days. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will include pushups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. Tuesday and Thursday will include rope jumping. I decided to stick with exercises anyone could do at home. My goal is to increase the reps by one each session with the pushups and sit-ups. The pull-ups I will just try and accomplish as many as I can. One will be quite an accomplishment!

I did a routine somewhat similar to this a couple of years ago when my workplace had a weight losing contest at work. It lasted for six months and I went from 220 to 165 with a diet and exercise program. Unfortunately I did not win, but I was quite proud of myself. I got sick, went off my routine, and since gone back to 205.5. My target weight is 185, I feel pretty comfortable there. I’m going to start this program just concentrating on exercise. I may add a calorie count into it later. I just want to see how much I can get away with, without having to restrict my diet too much. I also took my body measurements (don’t laugh!), and plan to chart them as well.

Body

Height: 6’
Weight: 205.5
Chest: 43”
Torso: 41”
Thighs: 23 ½”
Buttocks: 43 ½”
Biceps: 14 ½”

Mind

Right now, mind is a catchall. I’ll use it to devote to reading and working on projects that interest me. I will probably phase this in as I get acclimated to the Body and Spirit exercises.

Spirit

I’m trying a meditation program supposedly designed to accelerate contemplative experience. We’ll see. It is basically a guided meditation utilizing Holosync technology. For those of you unfamiliar, the music and tones of the CD are supposed to accellerate you brain waves into patterns associated with meditative states. The first two weeks, the author will guide me through the procedure which focuses on three of the seven chakras. If you are familiar with the chakra system, they are the third, fourth, and sixth chakras. I’ll refer to them as the lower, Heart, and Mind chakras. Kundalini Yoga focuses on all seven, but the author feels these can be condensed for starting purposes. The process involves placing two fingers on the chakra area while meditating on that area and then moving upward to the next area. As far as I can tell each area has two “movements” of music associated with it, about 4-5 minutes in length for a total of about a 30 minute session. It is recommended that I do two sessions a day, morning and evening.

After the two week introductory tutelage, the voice instruction drops off so there is only music associated with the session. I should also no longer have to touch the area when focusing on it, as I should “feel it” without the physical touching. The difficult thing about a program is that I have no one to really confer with about what I experience. Not to tell me if it is right or wrong so much, just to see if it is common or not. They do have a contact number, however, with counselors in their system and I may use that after I get started. So when I describe something, I have no idea if it is significant or not, I’m just going to tell you what I see and experience.

Last edited by on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 pm

4/4/07 Year 0 Day 1

Body

Pushups: 15
Situps: 20
Pullups: 1
Jog: ¾
Stretch: Y

I plan to ease into it and increase gradually! By the way, my jog is around my housing complex, I'll have to measure the distance. But basically, 3/4 means I jogged most of it, walked the remainder, a whole number will represent one lap around the whole community.

Mind

Spirit

Meditate Morning: Have trouble connecting in the lower chakra portion; in the heart chakra I get images of a purple cloud that continually forms and dissipates; in the mind chakra session, for a few seconds, I get a pinpoint of light, then a return for the purple cloud.

Meditate Evening: Still trouble connecting, but I do get very relaxed during the lower chakra session; I ate too much and too late, and I’m starting to get a little nauseated, difficult to concentrate. I do get some of the purple cloud but not as long; really difficult to concentrate through the mind chakra, I admit I just want to get to the end, not a good session.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Interesting Travis!

Quote :
I’m trying a meditation program supposedly designed to accelerate contemplative experience. We’ll see. It is basically a guided meditation utilizing Holosync technology. For those of you unfamiliar, the music and tones of the CD are supposed to accellerate you brain waves into patterns associated with meditative states.

I downloaded a demo of something similar and am thinking of buying the actual set of CDs. I'll be interested to see how the one that you are using works out. Here's a link to the one that I found...
http://www.mind-tek.com/ultra_meditation_system.html#UM

Here's a link to the mp3 demo...
http://www.ultra-meditation.com/meditation-samples/danespotts_meditation.mp3

I'll look forward to your entrees, and who knows, maybe I'll be inspired to actually get off my butt and get on with my ILP. Smile

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:35 pm

Your's looks interesting as well, similar ideas I think. I measured my jog, a staggering 1/2 mile! This means I get winded at about 3/10ths of a mile! I hate jogging! tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Travis Clementsmith wrote:
Your's looks interesting as well, similar ideas I think. I measured my jog, a staggering 1/2 mile! This means I get winded at about 3/10ths of a mile! I hate jogging! tongue

LOL... Maybe you should try walking. Smile

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:22 pm

4/5/07 Year 0 Day 2

Body

Jump rope: 5 min

Mind

Spirit

Meditate Morning: Feel much better. Still not much activity other than relaxation associated with the lower Chakra; limited Purple Cloud in the Heart Chakra; had an impression as though the darkness had ripples in it, like it moved in waves from my right to left, but no Purple Cloud.

Meditate Evening: Started the meditation and had to stop about half way through. Felt really nauseated. Not sure if it was something I ate or it has some connection to the meditation itself. Hopefully feel better tomorrow.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:52 pm

Wow, having a hard time with the evening meditation hey. Maybe you should take some Tums or something first. Wink

But seriously, perhaps it's because you are detoxifying your system?

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:16 pm

Yeah, its weird. It did say something about some people having reactions if they have eaten red meat to close to the session, but I had never had any problems before. Hopefully tonight will go better. Had a pretty good morning session I'll post later. Something happened that I had never experienced before. Don't know if its profound, but it was novel for me.

-TC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:32 am

4/6/07 Year 0 Day 3

Body

Pushups: 12
Situps: 21

Pushups had less reps today because I introduced pushup bars that make the exercise more difficult but more effective through deepening the downward movement. Pull ups are going to take a while!

Mind

Spirit

Meditate Morning: Felt much better today. Still have trouble seeing anything at the lower Chakra level. About midway through the Heart Chakra, I got the sensation of light moving from the periphery and condensing into “ink blot” patterns. In the Mind Chakra stage, I got the sensation of looking into a dark ocean with a narrow band of light which I would see shapes swimming in and out of. One was very clearly the shape of a dolphin and the eyes seem to glow like stars.

Meditate Evening: No nausea! Unfortunately, nothing particularly noteworthy either at any of the levels. Oh well!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:30 am

4/7/07 Year 0 Day 4

Body

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Not really experiencing any of the lights or images throughout the session.

Evening Meditation: Beginning to wonder if the lights and images were a weeding out process, not a result of meditation, but rather preparation for meditation. Meditation was uneventful again as far as “seeing something”. There is the relaxation benefits , however. Not even a week yet, so we’ll keep plugging along!

Had the Easter and birthday parties today. My daughter's friends are just now leaving so I can go to sleep and get up for my early shift tomorrow.

-TC

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:57 am

What type of meditation are you practicing?

I normally do a form of mindfulness. I don't sit down at a set time and do it, it's more when I think of it or if I happen to have a few minutes of peace. I just try and make myself aware of my own thoughts and the world around me. I find that it helps me to take a step back and it calms me.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:26 pm

I guess it would best be described as a cross training between mindfulness and kundalini.

-TC

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:27 pm

4/8/07 Year 0 Day 5

Body

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Peaceful, relaxing, uneventful.

Evening Meditation: Was interrupted by pets and family, so not a good session at all.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:33 pm

4/9/07 Year 0 Day 6

Body

Pushups: 13
Situps: 22
Jog: 1

I did some of my exercises on the midnight shift during breaks. Also did some gardening today after I got up.

Mind

Read the first couple chapters of the book, I Am a Strange Loop.

Spirit

Morning Meditation: For some reason this session felt a little more “intense” for lack of a better word, though it was still relaxing and refreshing. This session started after I got home from a midnight shift at work, and the fact I was tired may have lead to decreased expectation on desiring to “see something”. Have to keep in mind that “wanting” is an intellectual distractor!

Evening Meditation: Much like the morning session.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:53 pm

4/10/07 Year 0 Day 7

Body

Jump rope: 5 min

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: After my morning exercise my meditation was very different for the lower chakra. I experienced the “purple cloud” vision again. This faded into the Heart Chakra, but in the Mind Chakra, I felt a deep resonance of being, no visions though.

Evening Meditation: Stayed up late with my wife watching recorded television. Started my meditation and could not get settled, may have been overtired. Decided not to beat a dead horse and get some sleep.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:53 pm

Week 1 Measurements:

Weight: 205.0 Week Net: -.05 Start Net: -.05
Chest: 43” Week Net: 00 Start Net: 00
Torso: 41 ½” Week Net: + ½” Start Net: + ½”
Thighs: 23” Week Net: - ½” Start Net: - ½”
Buttocks: 43” Week Net: - ½” Start Net: - ½”
Biceps: 14 ½” Week Net: 00 Start Net: 00

Conclusions: Just glad to being staying on schedule at this point, didn’t really expect much change, in fact, I wouldn’t have been surprised to have had worse numbers! Weight usually goes up at the start of exercise programs due to muscle increase, but a half pound either way is really more in a margin of error. In fact, all measurements are within a margin of error, so I won’t get too excited about decreases in buttocks and thighs or dejected about increase in abdomen!

Week 1 Meditation Overview

The hardest thing to do is start something new, so the fact that I have kept it going this far is the main accomplishment. I have noticed a decrease in my perceived stress level, so that is nice. Nothing I would call profound or insightful as of yet, but wasn’t really expecting to so soon no matter what the program promises! 28 days to change a habit, so my goal is to make sure I continue through to that to ingrain the routine.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:57 am

4/11/07 Year 0 Day 8

Body

Pushups: 14
Situps: 24
Walk: 1

My wife wanted to join me for a walk today so we walked 1/2 mile before I jogged another half mile. Also went to the Farmer's Market where there was this guy demonstrating a detox machine he sat in a tub of water with your feet. The color and content identified what toxins you had. He looked at mine and said "You drink alot of soda, don't you?" Sadly, yes. I need to switch to tea! The unit cost $495, not really in the budget. He says he does individual sessions for about $30 a pop, probably need one each month. Might do that.

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Very refreshing, but not much else of note, other than it seems I have more resonance at the Mind Chakra level than any other. Perhaps because that is where I concentrate much of my everyday activity, perhaps because it comes last in the meditation practice. Not sure which, but there is certainly a different feel when I concentrate there.

Evening Meditation: Really lost myself in tonight’s meditation, not sure if I might have fallen asleep! Got antsy towards the end, though.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:12 pm

4/12/07 Year 0 Day 9

Body

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Beginning to get repetitive. Nothing flashy like at the beginning, but relaxing and energizing all the same.

Evening Meditation: Much like the morning session.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:13 am

4/13/07 Year 0 Day 10

Body

Pushups: 15
Situps: 25

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Had a little bit of the “purple haze” sensation towards the end of the lower Chakra; had the impression of ripples in the Mind Chakra. Both were faint and not very long though.

Evening Meditation: Deep, relaxing, uneventful.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:54 pm

4/14/07 Year 0 Day 11

Body

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Had some of the “ink blot impressions in the Mind Chakra, but other than that, much like last night’s evening meditation.

Evening Meditation: A pattern of relaxationis developing, so I’m only going to note things not of that pattern from here on out.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:36 pm

4/15/07 Year 0 Day 12

Body

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Actually saw a different color today in the Heart Chakra, a reddish-orange with a pattern that resembles magnified blood cells moving through a vein. Just when it was getting repetitive!

Evening Meditation: Normal

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:50 pm

4/16/07 Year 0 Day 13

Body

Pushups: 16
Situps: 26

I’ve taken to doing my exercise towards the later part of my midnight shift, this way when I get home, I do my morning meditation, go to sleep, then have the rest of the day to do what I need when I get up.

Mind

Worked on a response letter for the Deist Alliance and read a chapter of the book I had started.

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Mostly normal except that I find it a bit more difficult to maintain awareness after the midnight shift!

Evening Meditation: Mostly normal

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:11 pm

4/17/07 Year 0 Day 14

Body

Jump Rope: 5min

Measurement day tomorrow, not overly optimistic! Probably going to have to change diet sometime soon.

Mind

Spirit

Morning Meditation: Mostly normal, relaxing. Tomorrow will start listening to the tracks without the instruction, just the sound. Also adding in their Dreamscape program which they recommend doing 3 times a week.

Evening Meditation: Started too late again and only got through half the session. Bad Travis! Some is better than none, I guess. I start the next phase tomorrow.

Travis Clementsmith
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Week 2 Measurements:

Weight: 205.5 Week Net: +.05 Start Net: .00
Chest: 41” Week Net: -2" Start Net: -2"
Torso: 42” Week Net: + ½” Start Net: + ½”
Thighs: 23 1/2" Week Net: + ½” Start Net: 00”
Buttocks: 42” Week Net: - 1” Start Net: - 1 ½”
Biceps: 14 ½” Week Net: 00 Start Net: 00

Conclusions: Weight remains unchanged, but my expectations were that it wouldn't change much over the first month as my body get recalibrated from its old setting. The jogging does seem to be targeting my buttocks more than any other area. Chest size has gone down, but nto too concerned about that while I wait for my body to get used to the change.

Week 2 Meditation Overview

The meditation routine seemed to settle down into a relaxed state for the most part. Not as eventful with a few exceptions. The two week foundation period is over for the guided instruction. Now I just listen to the music and guid myself through it. I also add the Dreamscape program three times a week.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Travis' ILP and Log   

Back to top Go down

Travis' ILP and Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Panendeism.org :: Panendeism Discussions :: Integral Panendeism Forum-
Jump to: