Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

The "Zone" Diet

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: The "Zone" Diet   Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:45 pm

Here's a little information about the "Zone Diet".

Quote :
The Zone Diet sets your body up to BURN FAT as a primary source of fuel while you retain your LEAN BODY MASS (LBM). How? By regulating the amount of INSULIN your body produces. Insulin is released by the pancreas after you eat carbohydrates, and while it assures that your cells receive the necessary blood sugar, it also inhibits fat burning, converts almost half of your dietary carbohydrate directly into fat and causes hunger. The Zone Diet moderates the insulin response by limiting the intake of refined sugars and keeping all other carbohydrates to about 40% of the diet.

The concept of the Zone is simple - every time you eat it must be in the correct ratio of Protein to Carbohydrate to Fats. That ratio? 40/30/30 - 40% Carbohydrate, 30% Protein, 30% Fat. The maximum control of insulin occurs when this ratio is met.

The idea of 40/30/30 has been around for a number of years. The difference the Zone makes has to do with Zone Blocks, of which there are two types. The first is the Individual Block: an individual block of Carbohydrates (C) is 9 grams, an individual block of Protein (P) is 7 grams, and an individual block of Fat (F) is 3 grams.

Put one of each of those individual blocks together and you have the second type, a Complete Block. The idea behind the Zone Diet is to have a certain number of Complete Blocks at each meal or snack. So when I talk about a 4 Block Meal, I am talking about 4 Complete Blocks, or 4 individual blocks of protein, 4 individual blocks of carbs, and 4 individual blocks of fat.

http://www.dbhonline.com/zoneful/p_basic.htm

Has anyone heard anything about this? My wife says it's just another fad diet but it looks interesting to me because it's more inclusive then many of the diets that I've seen.

Any thoughts?

Averroes

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: The "Zone" Diet   Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:34 am

I don't know about the Zone, but one of my friends lost 30lbs. in thirty days, on Atkins Diet. For a whole month he ate nothing but grilled or boiled chicken along with raw lettuce or salads. However, he was also working out at the same time, so its a bit uncertain how much of weight loss can be attributed to dieting vs. exercising.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The "Zone" Diet   Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:43 pm

Yes, I've heard that the Atkins Diet is good for losing weight but I wonder how healthy it actually is long term?

The thing that I like from what I've heard about the Zone Diet is that it seems to be less of a weight loss diet and more of a practical guideline for eating healthy. Weight loss seems to be just a benificial side effect.

And yeah I agree that moderate exercise is also very important for a healthy lifestyle.

Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The "Zone" Diet   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:26 am

Looks good. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Uriah

Number of posts : 536
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The "Zone" Diet   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:21 pm

Look up Dr. Dean Ornish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ninah

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The "Zone" Diet   Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:26 pm

Uriah wrote:
Look up Dr. Dean Ornish

This is what I found.

The Ornish Diet: What It Is
What It Is

Unlike other diet books that make big promises, Eat More, Weigh Less, by Dean Ornish, MD, soft-pedals the health claims for this diet for the masses, adapted from his regimen to reverse heart disease. Ornish is well known in the medical community because of his success in reversing blockages to the heart, once thought impossible without surgery or drugs. Ornish also runs his own health and diet site here at WebMD which can give you additional details about his plan.

Unlike other books that are full of scientific-sounding theories and explanations without clinical studies to back them up, Ornish's explanations are simple and well supported. His main point is that eating a high-fiber, low-fat vegetarian diet will not only help you stay healthy, or get you there, but also will help you lose weight.

This is accomplished, according to Ornish, by a combination of diet and exercise that allows the body's fat-burning mechanism to work most effectively.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ornish-diet-what-it-is

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Zone" Diet   

Back to top Go down

The "Zone" Diet
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1