Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

United Deist Church

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: United Deist Church   Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:54 pm

Gnomon wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Yes they do seem to be far more politically liberal than my local UU Fellowship.

Perhaps the difference is the context. Here in my very conservative neck of the woods, the UU is quite liberal and activist. But in relatively liberal Connecticut, such a contrasting counter-force may not be as necessary.

Yes, I was thinking that myself.

Gnomon wrote:
On a related topic, today I was amused to see a sign on a bus advertising the local United Church of Christ (Congregational) as a "liberal" church*. The irony is that the small remnant of Congregationalists in this area recently sold their church building, and are now sharing space with a Baptist church. However, this is the same Baptist church that once offered the use of their facilities on the Sabbath to a Jewish congregation whose building was under renovation. An ecumenical revival???

Yes, I think they are all probably fighting for survival. For many people the NFL and NASCAR have become the new Sunday family spiritual ritual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://panendeism.web.officelive.com/default.aspx
Paul Anthony

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2007-10-07

PostSubject: Re: United Deist Church   Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:07 pm

A good friend of mine at the local UU was pondering how to describe the church, in order to attract new members. He wrote this in jest, of course, but it does aptly describe the UU environment:

“Greetings and welcome to the Valley Unitarian Universalist … uh, gathering place.

“We've got a lot of people here so nothing you say is going to surprise us much. Look around you, these people have heard so many points of view that they don’t really know what to think anymore.”

“If you think you don’t really belong anywhere at all, well, as they say ‘join the club’!” Trying not to fit in here can be a real challenge: we actually look for new people to tell us something we have not already heard before. The ones that agree with you will be happy for your support; the ones that disagree with you love a good discussion; and the rest will tell you something that you can’t make any sense out of at all.”

“You may have come here expecting to meet a lot of single women, that is true, and until woman can marry other women here in Arizona, it will continue to be true. It would be prudent not to presume anyone’s gender, gender identity or sexual orientation by mannerisms alone. This can lead to somewhat awkward situations, believe me, I know.”

“Many of our members here are really, really, old. They have already forgotten more than most people will ever know in the first place. So treat them with respect or you could get in over your head real fast.”

“Now sit back, relax, and listen while a flute player who can’t be over twelve years old plays a haunting solo that will melt your brain.”

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.voltairepress.com
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: United Deist Church   Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Yes, very true. Smile

stretmediq

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: United Deist Church   Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:35 am

I was talking to a doctor friend of mine who has Deist leanings. I told him I go to the UU "church" but I really didn't like calling it a church.

He asked me what I thought it should be called and I said I don't know, calling it the Deist/Unitarian Meeting Place was better than calling it a church in my opinion.

He looked at me then burst out laughing and said that spells D.U.M.P.! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cafepress.com/newdeism
Rev. Doug N. Ayer OCP

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-07-25

PostSubject: Re: United Deist Church   Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

I am an Ordained Minister of the: Universal Life Church; An Ordained Clergy Person [OCP] of the Church of Spiritual Humanism & a Deist Pastor. I am the Founder and Leader of the: United Deist Church {Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada}. Peace, love & Freedom, Rev. Doug.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mechajutaro

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2010-05-17

PostSubject: Re: United Deist Church   Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:32 am

Aaron wrote:
Does anyone remember this logo?

Do you think the idea of a "United Deist Church" was a bad one? Could it ever work out?

Wouldn't bank on many of us being terribly eager to re-join a church of any kind, nonetheless, an existence confined to cyberspace alone won't grant us viability on par w/even Palo Mayombe , much less the seemingly inexorable rise of neo-medivalism that surrounds us. If anyone(yes, lurkers too. Hell, U fellas especially!!!) in/passing through the Atlanta area finds the prospect of putting faces to screen names intriguing, PM me. A weekly chit-chat over sodas and hot dogs in Olympic Park would be a respectable start bounce Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: United Deist Church   

Back to top Go down

United Deist Church
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3