Panendeism.org

For the Promotion of Reason Based Spirituality...

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

throwin it out there again

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Helium

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: throwin it out there again   Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:11 am

Hey, deism gatherings have been thrown out there, ad nosium (okay I don't know latin)

Just really puttin it out there. But one way to get publicity not so much for a cause, but for a point of view, is a conference. Of course deists could never agree on anything. But you know as Shakespeare said, I think it was him, usually your greatest strength is your greatest weakness and I suspect that would be the case with deism.

The other thing would be a deist retreat, in which case it would be more of an internal thing. But at the internal thing, an external thing could be organized.

I think this has to do with Aaron's thread in which he ponders whether there is latent deism out there. If there is, it might be tapped.

My deism would join with all moderate Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Buddhists and save the world.

Although right now, truth be told, I'm helping the brewer's bottom line. Okay, only on my second pint. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Paineful Truth

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2007-09-19

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:21 am

I think you lost count. drunken Think d'oh Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

Number of posts : 1918
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:33 am

I think a deist conference would be great. The problem is finding people with the time, money, and interest to go.

My brother in-law belongs to an online video game club and they get together every year. It's amazing that we (deists) can't manage to do the same (at least once).

Helium

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:18 am

Quote :
I think you lost count.

Hell if Marion Jones can admit that her most inspired moments were from an unlabeled goup that her doctor told her not to tell anyone, I can surely own up to my most inspiring deism infusing moments being alcohol induced. cheers

Quote :
I think a deist conference would be great. The problem is finding people with the time, money, and interest to go.
Yeah. But hell, did we ever think we'd see the wall smashed. Did we ever think we'd see the iron curtain come down. Did we every think we'd see South Korea more worried about North Korea descending into anarchy rather than into South Korea. Believe, buddy, believe. Oops postin' on a pint of optimism again. Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Paineful Truth

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:11 am

Oh optimism. The glass being half full/empty is irrelevant when it's always filled when it's emptied. Cool

I still think the problem is that we don't define ourselves. Instead the Christians have been making God out to be an uncaring absentee landlord for 200 years, and all these new hyphenated deisms are springing up like moralistic-therapeutic-deism, classic deism, (dare I say) panendeism, "Christian-deism", and ceremonial-deism which even the Supreme Court uses in its rulings. This all just confuses the issue (by design?), and we're small enough as it is without being divided and marginalized by outsiders as well as ourselves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:22 am

I think the different labels stem from the fact that Deism is based on an epistomolgy of free thought rather than dogma. With free thought comes a diversity of opinions and ideas about the nature of god. These various labels are simply an attempt to categorize this diversity of opinions and ideas into concepts that can be quickly understood even if it's only amoung other deists.

I think this diversity is a heathy thing. If Deism was tightly restricted to the thoughts of Thomas Paine I would have moved on a long time ago.

The Paineful Truth

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:05 pm

Quote :
I think this diversity is a heathy thing. If Deism was tightly restricted to the thoughts of Thomas Paine I would have moved on a long time ago.

I've disagreed with Paine too, particularly on divine providence, and I'm a panendeist as well, although I call it strictly an opinion.

But we need at least one core, defining principle or deism means nothing. I've never been able to see how it could be anything other than God being laissez-faire or holding to his own Prime Directive. Reason shouldn't be the object of veneration itself, that should be what we use our reason to attain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron
Admin

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:44 pm

I think Deism can be defined on ontological grounds, metaphysical grounds, and/or epistomoligical grounds.

I think what you're talking about is a metaphysical definition of Deism. Epistomoligically Deism is defined as a belief in a creator based upon reason. Ontologically Deism is defined as a belief in a transpersonal creator.

Helium

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:30 pm

I think it's largely a question of semantics.

And I would suggest that, although I see Paine's point, it would be more productive to simply define your terms during a serious argument rather than to try and protect the integrity of the word deism. It will always have a general meaning, I feel, and I don't think you can now narrow the definition.

It's like the world LOVE. Any serious discussion involving the word nesecitates a definition of the term since the english language, through inventive uses - which is a good and creative thing, I might add - usually ends up stretching the boundaries of words.

But I guess that would be a new string.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: throwin it out there again   

Back to top Go down

throwin it out there again
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1